Common Interview Questions
Before any interview it is worthwhile preparing a list of questions you are likely to be asked and practicing your answers (but don’t memorise them… you will seem robotic).
Behavioural based interviewing techniques are commonly used by companies and you should be prepared to demonstrate your expertise by providing examples of your work and demonstrate how you achieved the outcomes listed in your resume.
Below is a list of frequently asked interview questions…
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- What challenges and opportunities do you think the company faces?
- How much do you know about our company, products and services?
- What are your career goals? How will you get there?
- How do you see this position assisting you in achieving your career goals?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What were your objectives for last year? Did you achieve them?
- What new skills are you looking to develop this year?
- What did you like best and least in your last position?
- Why do you want to work for us?
- What about this job do you find exciting?
- Why should we hire you?
- What value will you bring to the position?
- Why do you think you would like working for us?
- Are you a fast learner? How long will it take you to begin adding value?
- What special qualifications and experiences do you have?
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
- In what kind of a work environment are you most comfortable?
- Have you ever worked in a situation when there was no processes or procedures in place?
- What motivates you to deliver your greatest effort?
- Tell me about an important decision you had to make… how did you go about deciding?
- How well do you handle rejection?
- Tell me about a time when you took a risk… How did you handle it?
- What was the biggest challenge you ever faced?
- Have you ever been in a situation where you disagreed with your manager? How did you resolve the disagreement?
- Do you work best independently or as part of a team?
- Have you ever had to work with a person you didn’t get along with? How did you handle the problem?
- Have you ever had to learn a skill and then apply it immediately?
- Tell me a time when you planned and arranged a large project or event? What steps did you take?
- What three things are most important to you in a job?
- Tell me about a time when you worked as part of a team? How did you handle it?
- Have you ever been in a difficult situation when you needed to remain positive? How did you handle it?
- What was the hardest decision you have ever had to make?
- Describe your approach to problem-solving?
- Tell me about a time when you demonstrated leadership and initiative?
- Tell me about a time when you made a mistake at work? How did you go about rectifying it? What did you learn from the mistake?